The Shuri Network is the first NHS and care network of women of colour in digital health. We are a small but wonderful team that has had a big impact on celebrating difference and diversity in digital health, challenging the system to take action and supporting women of colour to succeed in their careers. We are named after Shuri, the Black Panther character who is responsible for her country’s technological success.
Breaking news November 2020: We are delighted to have won the national TechWomen100 Network of the Year award ! The awards focus on the female tech talent pipeline and the impact of champions, companies and networks that are leading the way for future generations of tech leaders and innovators. The award recognises the difference our Network is making to increasing diversity, safety and innovation within 18 months of our launch.
We do the following :
• Increase the visibility of BAME women and provide a national platform to share our contribution to digital innovation and patient care.
• Highlight successful role models who are people of colour
• Demystify careers in digital health
• Offer Fellowships, shadowing opportunities and bursaries for professional development
• Challenge the NHS to reduce discrimination and increase BAME representation at senior levels in line with recommendations in the NHS People Plan and the PHE report led by Prof Kevin Fenton.
• Deliver practical resources including events and recruitment guides for organisations with partners including the Health Foundation, Hunter Healthcare, AHSNs, TechUK and Coders of Colour.
• Work with partners to attract new entrants to work in the NHS.
We stand in solidarity with our BAME community, our members and allies in the fight against racism. Our network has always stood for equality, diversity and safety. Black Lives Matter.
What have we achieved since our launch in July 2019?
Join the Shuri Network
Membership is free and open to all (BAME women in digital health and allies) and will ensure you receive our newsletters and updates about events and opportunities.